Posted to uk.d-i-y
endymion endymion is offline

Default New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:48:01 +0100, endymion wrote:

However you want to argue the figures ,

I don't. I was just pointing out that extrapolation to 90 days fro one
nights reading is likely to be very misleading.

Night rate is 4p a unit. Day rate is 16p a unit ( and 30p for the first
125units) . Just imagine the hike in bill on 5000 units at 16p a unit.

I think you need to look around for a better deal. Our Equipower E7 is
4.27 and 13.18 (+ 5% VAT) and no Tier 1 or 2 rubbish or standing charge
either.

But I dont have that option. Equpower do not supply to my area. I have
checked. I have the lowest charges I can more or less get without having
to go to paperless billing. I dont nthink that the difference ( about 50 odd
quid a year according to estimates) makes enough difference to loose access
to the suppliers phone helpline. I have found that invaluable recently.

Have a look at some of the switching sites, going for a paperless,
online, monthly fixed direct debit, standing charge (either daily or Tier
1/2) normally gets you the best prices but you really have to look at the
actual tarrif details and plug them into a spreadsheet with your useage to
see which really is the cheapest. Some tarrifs are now not equal between
daily standing charge and "no standing charge" ie Tier 1/2 even if you use
all the Tier 1 power. Don't trust the switching sites, they make
assumptions that may not apply to you.

I have checked with a lot of different sites and worked the figures in many
ways. As I said above other than paperless billing I have got the cheapest
deal I can get here. We do not have this equ popwer thing in my area and my
main choices at the top oof all lists are either scotishpower or british
gas fixed price. There are no others cheaper. Scottishpoer and British gas
are listed as having six different rates each! But there is no one else
cheaper. The others have standing charges hiking thigs up. This power
supply market is like everything else, if you live in the right place you
can get it cheaper ( or get it at all). Where I live I have to pay for the
privledge.

Its the same with getting a storage heater. I have had to send via the
internet to a place in the SE of England for the best price. Not only that,
I cant even find a supplier near me so I couldnt fetch one if I wanted.
Nest prices seem to be in either the North or the SE.