Posted to uk.d-i-y
endymion endymion is offline

Default New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
endymion wrote:

Something just isn't adding up here, even though the night rate
consumption seems to have dropped from an extrapolated 18,000+ units per
quarter to a much more reasonable figure of 5,000(?). 5,000 units over 90
days is 55 per day and with "the heater" switched off this drops to 10.
The 45 kWh/day saved implies 6.4 kW load if running for the full 7 hours
each day. That perhaps suggests that you've switched off two 3.4 kW size
heaters, not one.

I know it doesnt add up. I also know what has happened in terms of the
figures.

I'm wondering if you've got two heaters
wired, rather unconventionally, on one final circuit. Certainly your
mention of plugs rings alarm bells as storage heaters should be
permanently wired on dedicated individual circuits (except perhaps for the
smallest size where two per circuit might be OK).

They are permanently wired. My use of the woprd " plug" means a wall fitting
that takes the wire from the heater and allows it to be switched on. All
the heaters seem to be wired on the correct curicuit. I only had one
heater on. I only had one heater heating up, so even if another one was on
it was not heating up anywhere. I have six heaters in total in the house
but have only ever used five. The sixth is in a position which makes it
impossible to use ( or would make it impossible for me to have a three piece
suite or sofa in the sitting room as it is directly the back of the sofa). I
have never used the sixth heater . Its a Dimplex 1.7 Kw I think.

The 24 kWh (3.4
kW) size appliance draws over 13 A, so 13 A wiring accessories shouldn't
be used at all, just a 20 A DP switch with flex outlet and a 16 A fuse or
MCB in the consumer unit.

Which is more or less what I have

Day rate is 16p a unit

That sounds a bit over the odds.

I wonder where people get their lower figures. Is this a regional thing? I
have checked the electricity charges from different suppliers in the last
week. Whilst Scotush power would come in a fraction cheaper on day rate it
on its cheapest with a price fix till 2009 it would hike my night rate and
would add a standing charge which is higher than my current one. . My only
other choice ( and I am not going to do it) would be to stay manage an
online and paperless billing account. I have to say I have gained a lot
recently from being able to call up and ask about the problems with the
meter reading so I dont want an online account.

There might be cheaper electricity suppliers around but I am guessing they
are not im ny area. I have been told powergen are cheaper but they wont
supply to me. The others are either 4 - 5 p night rate and about 10p day
rate but I believe it has a higher standing charge.
That said, they will not supply here.