Posted to alt.home.repair
Mash Mash is offline

Default Running wire in finished ceiling on main floor

On Aug 22, 1:36*am, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:05:42 -0700 (PDT), Mash
wrote:

Hmmm. * 25 Feet apart. *Assuming the joists run perpendicular
to the line between the 2 fans, that means running the cable
thru nearly 20 joists! *20 ugly holes to patch.

You're right, I'm actually not sure which way the joists run so I've
got to check that. By looking at the orientation of the roof a
contractor friend of mine guessed that they will probably run parallel
to the line between the fans but I've got to check.

Instead, consider running a cable from each fan to the wall space,
*in* the joist spaces. *There will be 1 or 2 holes to get from the
ceiling into the wall.

Once in the wall, join the 2 cables at some point where the
power can be fed to them. *Or, don't join them, if 2 feeds
can be made.

That's a good idea. I like that better than cutting up my ceiling.
Thanks.

Plan B: * Run a surface raceway and have no holes to patch.

I'd much prefer to hide the wire in the ceiling/wall...but definitely
an option.
Thanks

Unless you can cut thru the floor upstairs, if it's plywood, I would
not even mess with cutting the popcorn ceiling. *You will always see
the patches. *If this was my job, and I could not go thru the upper
floor, I'd use WIREMOLD. *Once painted to match the ceiling, it's not
bad looking at all. *MUCH LESS WORK TOO. *It's used in many commercial
buildings, and it's easy to install on the surface. *There is a metal
and a plastic type. *On popcorn, I'd use the metal so you dont get
sags.

You can start the wiremold from any existing outlet or switch, or run
a new line from the basement.

PS. 99.9% of the time the ceiling joists run the same as in the
basement. *Go look in basement. *

Thanks, so the joists run in parallel to the line between my two fans.
That's good to know.
I'll have to check out the wire mold. I'd rather hide the wire in the
ceiling but you're right...it's a pain.
I've considered scraping the ceiling because we actually would prefer
a flat ceiling but that's alot of work...and a mess.