Posted to alt.home.repair
Mash Mash is offline

Default Running wire in finished ceiling on main floor

On Aug 21, 9:56*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Mash wrote:
We have a large family/living room area and I want to put two ceiling
fans in this area. So the fans will be on the same floor about 25 feet
apart or so.

I'm going to add a new circuit for these fans/lights. I'm comfortable
with the electrical wiring part of the job but I'm not actually sure
how to run the wire.

The room in question is on the 1st floor. Above that is the 2nd floor
with our bedrooms, Above the 2nd is an attic.
How do I run the wire through the 1st floor ceiling? Obviously I have
to cut a hole in the ceiling where the lights will be mounted. Do I
also have to cut holes in the ceiling so I could drill a hole in the
joists and run the wire through them?

To complicate things we have a ceiling with a popcorn finish so I
don't know how hard it will be to patch any holes I make. I'd like to
minimize the destruction to my ceilings...my wife would appreciate
that too
Thanks

Nobody else said it so I will- back when the modern era of ceiling fans
getting popular started in the 70s, a common technique for large rooms
like that was to add shallow faux beams across the space, and use those
as raceway for the cable and landing spots for the fan bases. Rough-sawn
dark finish for modern decor, especially with the then-popular T&G
ceilings in 'California-style' flying wing houses, or painted and
trimmed out like the crown mold in the rest of the room in traditional
houses. Some decorators even used the faux beams as a way to visually
break up 'great rooms' into more human-scale spaces (like
dining/fireplace/conversation pit areas)

That's a good idea. The room I'm working on is a large room and the
beams could serve to break it up. I'll look into that.