Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Brick BBQ revisted

We are back to this DIY project. Our old one had the top subsume when age
damaged the mortar while we were gone. We had it spec'ed for repair and the
cost wasnt terrible but we'd elected to take it out and pour a wider base.

While doing the taking out, we found the bottom 2 feet were rock solid and
the subsuming was obvious. The sand pit inner core was filled with refuse
(old bottles, plastic stuff, cans, etc. This degraded and caused a sink
under it which is why it failed.

So now, we have dug out all the old '%@$^' that was used as core filler and
replaced with things that will work (some of the old broken bricks, lots of
sand and gravel). The bottom was proper slab poured and we added a 2 inch
layer even though there were no evident cracks.

Today at the local Lowes:

Don spec'ed out the brick and mortar section for the BBQ but we delayed as
we didnt like the fire-safe bottom bricks they had and want to check Home
Depot before deciding.

Don wants to make it into a pit sort of thing with layered racks and a
raisable pan for coals if just doing a few burgers. He's actually thinking
of how to make it a sort of built in smoker with a top that can come off for
other uses. Obviously the walls have to raise some and I'm thinking be 2
bricks thick to self support without the core and go up another ? 1.5 ft'?

To really do what he wants, means I might have to invest in some welding
tools or rent some. Don BTW, was a MM in the Navy with AC/R and welding
skills.

Any plans any of you can find for such a project, will be well recieved!
I'm hunting internet sources.