Posted to rec.woodworking
Bored Borg Bored Borg is offline

Default Looks like PC is following the path of B&D

On Tue, 5 Aug 2008 17:18:04 +0100, Michael Briggs wrote
(in article ):

Subject: Looks like PC is following the path of B&D
From: "Michael Briggs"
Date: 5/8/08 17:18
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking

I would have to say it is caused by the big box stores. Here is my example.

I was looking for a wire feed welder. I was looking at the miller and
lincoln 135 amp welders. Lowes and Home D. around here. Friend of mine who
owns a machine shop said to stay away from them. To go to a welding
supplier. I asked "whats the difference besides price, both are 135 amp
welders from same companies. He said not the same units though. Looking
closer I found that the actual model numbers were different even though the
units were looked exactly the same. I will use the example of the Lincoln sp

excellent rant truncated

sorry bout the rant
Mike

In U.K.. the market leader in routers is Trend. Same price bracket as DW.
Excellent machines. Built like tanks blah blah.

Frequently see ebay.co.uk ads for Trend routers which usually turn out to be
B&Q (big box home store thing) own-spec model. I don't remember the model
number but it's a unique series. (NOT the t3/4, t5, t9/t10/t11 which I CAN
remember) Thought these might be a bargain: nice fitted case, many bits
included, reputation of "Trend" very low price, so I did some research a year
or two back.

Seems that the B&Q model, clearly marked "Trend" in appropriate corporate
logostyle, is a P.O.S. which Trend customer service deny all knowledge of,
and refer customers back to B&Q who know nothing about routers.
Very surprising, as Trend service is PDG usually.
This raises all sort of ethics/marketing questions.
The units seem to be FEPOS with no QC actually handled at some point by
Trend, at least long enough to badge them.

Long term, I don't see this doing anyone any favours. Short term, it seems
like a good idea to accountants and naive customers.

Who wins?
No-one long term. The brand is compromised. The only gains on any level are
short term, unless you're a customer who got a "Rolex!!" bargain in a Trend
router for occasional D.I.Y work which turns out to be in a batch that is
trouble-free and requires no service backup.

So, look at the PC issue. THAT all seems to be in house, so PC / BD should at
least provide service, but if components constantly fail in professional use,
the service will eventually cease being professional and will default to the
usual fob-the-customer-off stomewalling that is all too common nowadays.
Another brand compromised and customers having no-where else to turn for top
quality solutions.

Bigger, faster bucks for the shareholders and sell the company down the river
because the word "tomorrow" doesn't figure in MBE thinking.
Yeuch.