Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell SteveBell is offline

Default Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

Big_Jake wrote:

On Aug 21, 6:39 pm, "SteveBell"
On Aug 21, 3:30 pm, "SteveBell"
wrote:
When you're picking up your water heater, splurge on some
tie-down ratchet straps. Put the WH upright in your pickup, and
strap it in place. You just solved both problems at once, and
you have new straps for future use.

I've got plenty of tie-down straps.

Sorry about that, Chief. I read too fast and missed the part where
you mentioned the bed cap

What I don't have is overhead clearance to stand the water heater
upright anywhere in the pickup. It's about 5'6" tall in the box,
and I've only got 2' of clearance under the fiberglass topper.
Even raised, I've only got 3'6" of clearance at the back of the
bed.

I just checked the box a little more closely. In one warning
label, it depicts a water heater sticking out of the trunk of a
car, and says, "Avoid hauling like this, but if you must haul it
like this ensure adequate padding for the box."

So, they imply that it's okay to lay it on its side if necessary.

I'm only going about 5 miles over smooth road, and I'll drive
slowly and carefully.

BTW, nowhere in any of this have I made the mistake of calling it
a "HOT water heater," so NYAH-NYAH!!!!

Good on you. Now you just have to train yourself to call it a "COLD
water heater".

You actually get "cold" water from the taps in Texas? I would think
that the water coming into the house there would be "tepid".

Not this time of year, I don't. It starts out chilly, then warms up
after I use up the water that was sitting inside the walls.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement