Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default Steel grades

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:37:17 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

I guess the primary thing for me to be concerned with is how well it
forms. (especially at 050 thickness)

I almost always just do a 90 degree bend.....I was looking at Mc
Master Carr and they said 4130 was excellent for this but then they
didn't show the others.

4130 was half the price of 5052 aluminum but I suppose what I'm asking
is what is the most commonly used.

I know with aluminum (at least for electronics), it's 3003 or 5052.

3003 is about the softest grade of aluminium going.

since steel in the same thickness is about 3 times the strength of
aluminium any annealed grade of mild steel would probably do.

get your local yellow pages out. locate a sheet metal bending outfit
and ask them what the easiest grade of steel is for bending and punch
forming. that will get you first hand info.

failing that annealed 316 stainless would probably do and give you
freedom from corrosion.