Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Steel grades

On Aug 21, 10:02*pm, mkr5000 wrote:
Unless I should be looking at other numbers on aluminum than 3003 and
5052, the part that emachineshop.com is quoting me is over 50% less
using the 4130 steel. (compared to 5052)

Naturally, I'll stay away from 4130 if I someone can tell me I
shouldn't use it. ( ? )

So, what other numbers of aluminum should I be considering if you're
saying the part would be more inexpensive using it than steel ?

I've always heard the opposite.

If you want a lower part cost, use steel......I just never have
because of weight.

This particular part though is only about 7" x 3" and 050 thickness
would be fine -- weight isn't an issue.

You don't know the specific properties of the various alloys, which
makes me assume they aren't very critical. In which case, why
wouldn't you simply ask the shop making the parts to suggest the
alloys?

John Martin