Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Shaping rubber and rubber balls.

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:32:59 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

Not at all, so, where do I find said potion please or are you saying
it is simply white spirit and dry cleaning fluid (or was that just a
guess / example) and we don't know the ratios etc?

All the best ..

T i m

Now you're asking, as I used to be in a lab, with plenty of different
solvents to try.

Cool weg

For real spectacular swelling, chloroform was very good on
it's own. But, where a balance had to be struck between cleaning/reviving
and dissolving - plus the fire risk and toxicity and cost had to be
considered too - various mixtures were used. Most of ours tended to be cheap
white spirit, plus xxx, or cheap iso propyl alcohol plus xxx. It's a long
time ago now, but I think the blanket reviver was the white spirit plus
tri-chloro-ethane {'Trike': Which is similar to the per-chloro ethane -
'Perk'- they use in dry cleaners.)

Understood.

These chemicals are only the 'preferred ones' because of the flammability or
toxicity of others that might otherwise be suitable (Carbon tetrachloride
having been the preferred dry cleaning solvent before safer alternatives
came along.)

Ok .. and I bet they didn't smell as good? :-(

In your case you are not so concerned about flammability and solvent abuse,
so you could try petrol for starters, or lighter fluid (though obviously,
these are not going to work if yours is the same sort of 'rubber' they make
fuel lines out of...).

Well this rubber is black (not much help that I know) and about the
consistency of a firm pencil rubber (but not as firm as an ink
rubber). You can pinch it tween finger and thumb and distort it but
not pinch it flat (or anywhere near). I guess it would be suitable to
not be affected by air pressure, water (condensate) and oil (it's not
an 'oil free' compressor).

'White spirit' itself is already a hotch potch
mixture that can be very variable, and some that you have to hand might
already be enough to swell the rubber a bit.

Ok.

Then there's nail varnish
remover - the 'pear drops' kind rather than the acetone kind.

Ah, I'll ask the girls what they have. I have 5L of Acetone myself.
;-)

You may even
find that 'penetrating oils' like 'three in one' or 'plus gas', may do the
job, as we used to make a similar solution with the above mentioned 'trike'
with a drop of oil in: the solvent does the penetrating, and leaves a dab of
oil behind once it evaporates.

Ok.

Take care if trying more severe mixes like cellulose thinners or paint
stripper, as these may dissolve your 'rubber' - rubber itself being a
blanket term for all manner of things.

Ah. :-(

On the other hand, a brush
reviver/cleaner that contains methylene chloride (Dichloro-methane), might
be just the job.

Ok, not ever used that I don't think.

See what you have around. Note that swelling may take several hours, but
check at first that your sample is not going to turn into a sticky mess.

Luckily I've got most the stuff on yer list inc Tetrosyl, Panel Wipe
(Low flash-point hydrocarbon solvent), Carb cleaner:

NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM) HYDROTREATED LIGHT 100/140 30-60%
EINECS: 265-151-9 CAS: 64742-49-0
[F] R11; [Xi] R38; [N] R51/53; [Xn] R65; [-] R67
• PROPAN-2-OL 10-30%
EINECS: 200-661-7 CAS: 67-63-0
[F] R11; [Xi] R36; [-] R67
• PROPANE 10-30%
EINECS: 200-827-9 CAS: 74-98-6
[F+] R12
• BUTANE 1-10%
EINECS: 203-448-7 CAS: 106-97-8
[F+] R12
• DIACETONE ALCOHOL 1-10%
EINECS: 204-626-7 CAS: 123-42-2
[Xi] R36
• METHANOL 1%
EINECS: 200-659-6 CAS: 67-56-1
[F] R11; [T] R23/24/25; [T] R39/23/24/25

;-)

So, what is the plan here? I soak said rubber thing in a small pot of
whatever for n time and then let it evaporate out again and hope
that during the swelling and (presumably) reduction process the rubber
will lose any distortion?

Take care when experimenting: outdoors: no flames (Even the non-flammables
can break down into carcinogens on the end of a lighted fag for example.).

Ok ta (but don't smoke or work by candlelight ... yet!) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m