Tim Simmons

Default need help! Router bit problem (i'm a total newbie)

"Bruce Rowen" wrote in message
So, that's why I am posting. Need experienced and wise human to

quickly
solve this. So, just a straight answer would help me HUGELY.

The type is Craftsman 1.5 hp, 1/4" collet.

There are usually two parts to the collet, the collet nut (the part you
put a wrench on)
and the collet itself. Some designs have the collet removable as an
insert (i.e. Dremel tools). If your router
does not have the collet insert installed under the nut this could be
your problem. Remove the collet
nut and see if there is an insert installed. It should fit closely to
your 1/4" shaft.

Check the small baggies that came with your router if this part is
missing.

-Bruce

Tim S.:

Thanks first to all who replied! I didn't know there was a collet that fit
inside the round part and tonight I went and looked inside that hole
w/flashlight and it seemed to be... a round hole. It didn't have anything
that looked like it would clamp down under pressure of tightening the nut.
So, I think I have no collet to tighten.

An aquaintence put it together and he either lost it, stole it, or it never
was in the parts bag.

So, I guess I'll ask Sears if they'll give me the proper collet w/o charge
and I'll bet that fixes my problem. I thought I was just dumb for a
second. (hmmm heheheheh)

Also, I read that you should position the bit 1/16" above the base rather
than riding on the bottom. Is that true? If so, why? Does it alleviate
extra vibrations by not touching the bottom?

Thanks again for the speedy replies. When do you folk find time to do any
woodworking? hehehehhe

Oh, another thing (for what it's worth)....

My Craftsman miter saw (also bought for me by my folks as a Xmas gift) was
new to me (I'm a musician/computer guy, not a mechanical guy) and I tried to
cut a 45 deg but the four pieces didn't line up and I deduced that since the
lengths were EXACTLY equal that the angle had to be off of 45. Sure
enough, it was. The 45 deg notch was off quite a bit and the other 45 was
almost right. I remedied by manually adjusting beyond the notch and using
trial and error till it was a good 45.

I plan to try making a few picture frames and now I'm almost ready (miter
trimmer next.. when does it end????)

Tim