Posted to rec.woodworking
JOE MOHNIKE JOE MOHNIKE is offline

Default Refinishing a piece of furniture - your advice please

Use a good quality paint remover, follow instructions on container. Use
various scrapers, fine brass brushes etc. to get into the difficult areas.
Wipe everything down with Laquer Thinner, and then wipe down with a mild
solution of liquid dish soap and water, followed by a clear rinse. Sand as
needed and then stain.

If you have used any product like Pledge or something similar, it has left a
coating on the surface which make applying any type of oil stain, polyshade
etc.almost impossible and you need to take it down to the wood.

Joe
"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
A few years ago I made an oak dresser to match some existing furniture in
the bedroom. The furniture is now replaced by new furniture with a darker
cherry finish. When I did the oak dresser I put on some stain to match the
old furniture and two coats of poly. I would like to refinish the dresser I
made but it will be very hard to sand off the poly due to the shape of the
drawers (not simple flat surfaces). Do I have any choices or must I get
that poly off? I would like to put on a dye to cover up the oak grain as
best I can but I doubt I can just put that down on poly. Any ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

TIA.

Dick Snyder