Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim[_2_] Speedy Jim[_2_] is offline

Default Running wire in finished ceiling on main floor

Mash wrote:
We have a large family/living room area and I want to put two ceiling
fans in this area. So the fans will be on the same floor about 25 feet
apart or so.

I'm going to add a new circuit for these fans/lights. I'm comfortable
with the electrical wiring part of the job but I'm not actually sure
how to run the wire.

The room in question is on the 1st floor. Above that is the 2nd floor
with our bedrooms, Above the 2nd is an attic.
How do I run the wire through the 1st floor ceiling? Obviously I have
to cut a hole in the ceiling where the lights will be mounted. Do I
also have to cut holes in the ceiling so I could drill a hole in the
joists and run the wire through them?

To complicate things we have a ceiling with a popcorn finish so I
don't know how hard it will be to patch any holes I make. I'd like to
minimize the destruction to my ceilings...my wife would appreciate
that too
Thanks

Hmmm. 25 Feet apart. Assuming the joists run perpendicular
to the line between the 2 fans, that means running the cable
thru nearly 20 joists! 20 ugly holes to patch.

Instead, consider running a cable from each fan to the wall space,
*in* the joist spaces. There will be 1 or 2 holes to get from the
ceiling into the wall.

Once in the wall, join the 2 cables at some point where the
power can be fed to them. Or, don't join them, if 2 feeds
can be made.

Plan B: Run a surface raceway and have no holes to patch.

Lots and lots of unknowns in this concerning the structural details...

Jim