Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Aeration or Dethathing

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:03:17 -0500, "freckles"
wrote:

Just noticed the thatch is starting to build up in my lawn. (about 1/4"
deep)

I understand if the thatch is less than 1" deep, aeration will be as
beneficial to the lawn as removing the thatch.

Which would be the best way to proceed? Any pros or cons would be
appreciated.

Thanks

\Don

Unless your lawn is compacted, aeration is not really necessary.
Removing 1/4" thatch is not needed, unless you plan to overseed
shortly thereafter. Use less the recommended lawn fertilizer salts
and consider applying an organic fertilizer (composted manure,
seaweed, pellitized chicken manure, Milorganite, etc) once a year to
encourage earthworm activity which will aerate your lawn.