Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel grades

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:01:59 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

I don't know why but I've been in this force of habit getting some of
my small parts quoted in 5052 aluminum.

I just compared the price of a certain part done in steel and I'm
saving over 50%

My question is this --

What is the typical (common) grade of steel that is used in parts
where the thickness is anyhwere from 050 to 062 (all I ever use) and
the part may also have some 90 degree bends, some small holes etc.

Typical (and most inexpensive) material for electronic chassis and the
like.

The grade I used for the quote was 4130... but I see others....

1008
1018
A36
12L14

all at at even greater savings.

THANKS for your expert answer.

12L14 would be my choice. Machinists love it and consumable costs go
way down

Gunner

"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't
caused by some people having more money than others, just as obesity
isn't caused by McDonald's serving super-sized orders of French fries
Poverty, like obesity, is caused by the life choices that dictate
results." - John Tucci,