Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default OT- taxing the "fuel" on an electric car?

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jim Chandler" wrote: They'll probably have a "road tax". That is, you'll
pay a certain

amount per year for so many miles. Go over that and they hit you with a
penalty. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cars have odometers. It wouldn't be difficult to calculate a tax based on
miles driven. Another possibility would be to build it into the electric
meter where the car is charged. They already have plans to use time-of-use
meters, with preferential rates to encourage battgery charging during
off-peak hours.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You know the government isn't going to let ANY possible tax

slide by.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You make it sound so ONIMOUS. Currently, gas taxes pay for the roads. If
the number of electric cars becomes significant, it is perfectly logical to
shift some of the cost to them. What would YOU suggest?

I don't know what state you're in but if you think that gasoline taxes
pay for the roads, you're sadly mistaken. They are SUPPOSED to do so
but the politicians have a propensity for using them for other things,
at least in Californicate.

I said that government isn't going to miss an opportunity to tax
anything they can. Do you disagree. Granted things have to be paid for
but the constant tax, tax, tax of government, both parties, is becoming
a bit wearing, would you not agree?

What would I suggest? I would suggest that governments, from City Hall
to the White House start cutting some of the spending that they are
doing. EVERY governments entity has some useless spending somewhere.
How about lowering the cost of "management" for starters. Cut the perks
that these political buffoons seem to think they are worthy of and
deserve just because they were elected.

Jim