Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jmeehan@columbus.rr.com is offline

Default Aeration or Dethathing

On Aug 20, 8:03*pm, "freckles" wrote:
Just noticed the thatch is starting to build up in my lawn. (about 1/4"
deep)

I understand if the thatch is less than 1" deep, aeration will be as
beneficial to the lawn as removing the thatch.

Which would be the best way to proceed? Any pros or cons would be
appreciated.

Thanks

\Don

Well it does depend on your type of grass, the soil the local
weather conditions etc.

A quarter inch is desirable in my book. It denotes a normal
healthy lawn in my area. No "thatch" is not normal and it leaves the
soil uncovered so it dries out faster and is subject to causing wide
swings of soil temperature, which is not good.

De-thatching is over sold in my opinion. In most areas a healthy
lawn will not need it. Over fertilizing can cause to much of a build
up in some areas.