Posted to rec.woodworking
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Dewalt Plunge Saw Coming to the U.S.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:24:09 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Aug 20, 9:15 am, Charlie Self wrote:

I'd love to get one of the
DeWalt's for a comparison.

My guess, though, is that all the mags already have that lined up.

Not exactly on topic, but I would like to see someone like you get a
hold of that thing myself.

I am pretty sick of "product testers" checking out new tools in these
magazines. Guys that might be testing screwdrivers one week, blenders
and toasters the next, are testing tools for specific use when most
have no knowledge of the tool in general.

As tool costs rise for quality tools, I want to see in depth,
practical use tests for the tools, not tests set up by a committee
after talking to the manufacturers to see what their specific design
parameters addressed.

Many times "field guys" have a different set of specific requirements
than "shop guys". For example, I am all for huge battery life, but
not if the tool is so flimsy that if it falls off the tailgate it
smashes into a million pieces. Yet how many times, other than tools
that were specifically designed and sold with this as a feature, do
they drop the tools on concrete? How waterproof are the workings?

They have been doing those tests with laptops for years, and I'd bet
money more people are careful with their laptops than they are with
their cordless tools.

And while I am glad table saws are tested with Forester blades and
their equivalents, I want to see how saws test out with a simple good
quality blade on it, one you can buy at a local machine shop.
Forester blades can make just about any saw look good.

Same with sanders. I would love to have a $500 disk sander, but how
much actual difference would you see if I took my $250 Swiss made
Bosch with super premium paper in it as a comparison? No matter how
premium it is, $250 difference will buy you a stack of sandpaper.

Before someone starts up, I want to make it clear I am not bagging on
someone's sander, the tool was used for purposes of illustration
only. Same with the saw.

The point is that most of the nitwits that design and test the tools
in these reviews have no more business doing so than I do building a
moon rocket.

I just want practical tests, that's all. How about taking two sanders
and clicking the retaining button on the trigger closed and let them
run all out for an hour, rest an hour, run an hour, rest an hour,
etc., for a month and THEN test the output? After all that's only 80
hours of work time based on an 8 hour day in the lab. Even for a home
shop guy, that's pretty low mileage for a sander, maybe replicating a
year or so work.

To me, that would constitute a more valid test since you would know
how much tool you will have in the long run.

But you know... they just don't ask me.

Anyway, back to work.

Robert

If you're not familiar with the Journal of Light Construction, they
have some of the best tool tests I've come across. They are mostly
done by construction crews using the tools in their daily business for
a month or more. So you hear about comfort in long term use, power in
real life situations, balance, etc. in addition to job-site comparison
of features. Since it's construction trades oriented, you don't get
tests of jointers or hand planes, etc. But they do test bench top
table saws, miter saws, and of course, every variety of cordless tool
and things like hammer drills, rotary hammers, portable compressors,
etc.

Since a lot of my projects tend to be home remodeling oriented anyway,
I also like the features on best construction practices, new materials
and techniques, etc. They have a regular column on the business side
of the construction industry, a lot of which is dead on for small
woodworking business too.

And no, I have no connection with the mag other than always finding it
a good read.

Paul Franklin