Absinthe

Default Making Small Machines

Dan --

I'm sorry, I really wasn't trying to be as vague as it seems.

What I am attempting to do is an improvement on an existing product. It is a
machine that is used to make keys from a brass blank with a steel cutter, by
knowing the cut position and cut depth. Currently it works on the principle
of a carriage that rides on a rod. It is stopped (for depths) by a
micrometer in front of the carriage. It can be controlled laterally by
rubbing it against a micrometer to one side set to the current position. It
is fed into the cutter by a movement best described as an arc.

I am trying to come up with a replacement for the carriage to 1. feed
straight into the cutter instead of on the arc. 2. Make lateral positioning
and forward movement more accurate and convenient.

I am currently researching about 3 or 4 different methods of doing this,
including stepper motors and actuators, dovetail way slides, milling tables,
and a few really oddball ideas. At some point there is diminishing returns
as this is approximately $300 machine (not really though) and the next
better machine is about $1600. So as the costs rise to improve it, the
benefits of doing so decease.

-- Absinthe

"Dan Dresner" wrote in message
I'm guessing now that a mechanical stage might not be the way to go since
they are not made to take any thrust/twist, etc. Are you feeding the
workpiece into a moving tool so that the feed screw will have to take all
the thrust? or can you lock the workpiece down and feed the tool into it?

Is
the workpiece steel? wood? Jello? You would probably get better help from
the community if you were more forthcoming about the details of your
project.

Another source just ocurred to me: a watchmaker's or tool and die-maker's
supply catalog might turn up some very fine-threaded rod that you could
incorporate into your design.

DanD

"Absinthe" wrote in message
s.com...
It is always great to know what something is called. Much easier to

find.
am curious, if you know how much physical stress one of these things

could
take. I am looking to hold a small devise to a cutter/grinder at

precision
up to .001. I fear the slide holder would not be strong enough for that.

I can certainly look for a used one, perhaps I can find a microscope

with
one already attached that someone knocked off the table

Though I think I am going to actually need a manual x/y slide-table.

Someone
must make a small inexpensive one for the hobbyist for small drill press
milling...