Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
[email protected] l.vanderloo@rogers.com is offline

Default Lathe -- problem with lubrication

Hi Bill
My nephew has a small Myford metal lathe, I remember him complaining
that he had to dismantle halve the lathe to get the second belt off,
anyway, I can't see your lathe from here of course, but what's keeping
the headstock spindle from coming out, or keeping it from moving back
and forth ??
Is it just a snap-ring or is there maybe a treaded ring that could
have gotten tighter and so making the spindle stiff to turn ??

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Aug 20, 10:54*am, Bill Day
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 22:26:14 -0700, "William Noble"

wrote:
why don't you try the simple stuff first:

1. remove pressure on belt and if possible unhook belt from motor
2. turn motor on/off - does it spin down slowly or quickly? *if quickly,
motor bearings may be an issue
3. rotate spindle by hand - stiff or free - if stiff, spindle bearings are
suspect

*Yes, I should have mentioned that I did those tests. The motor runs
easily when the belt is disengaged. It is only the spindle/shaft that
turns stiffly. *
* So the thought is that it might be bearings themselves rather than a
lubrication (or lack of) issue? My manual makes a brief reference to
an 'adjustment' of the bearings. I'll go check it again and see if I
can gently change anything.

Thanks....
--
remove nonsense for reply