Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default "We kept Wal-Mart out of our town!"

In article ,
George wrote:

Absolutely. But the government didn't pay for my lot and let me use it
for free or install my driveway or extend the mains just for me and
install the sewer lateral or water lines into the house.

Which, of course they are also not doing solely for WalMart. Every WM
I have seen is surrounded by other buildings, many coming to the area
specifically for the traffic WM generates. I would find it hard to
beleive that the city buys the lots, too.

Also, nobody ever builds anything
near a WalMart to use the infrastructure so it is only built for Walmart
and nobody else benefits and n0 other buildings are built so no other
tax money comes in.

Not in my area. So far the original Walmarts and the new sites we
prepared for or are preparing for them are occupied only by them.

Well then your area is the only one in the known galaxy where that
has occurred. Heck the WMs LIKE to have other places around because it
also tends to drive even more traffic to them.
Also, are they really the only ones that the infrastructure goes to?
The roads just stop and there is absolutely nobody between where the
roads and sewers stopped before and where they go now? Nothing further
on? Again, outside normal.

The
highway interchange, traffic signals etc are solely for their use. And
even if they were shared by others why would the taxpayers need to pay
for it? Let a developer buy and prepare the property and lease it to
their commercial customers or as in the case of some organizations that
have multiple properties have their property management division acquire
and prepare the site for their use.

That is a good question, but I doubt it is a WM only question.
Manufacturers, wharehouses, other big boxes, heck even banks get the
same economic development incentives in our area and I would bet yours,
too.

Sounds like more of a problem with the local tax authority. WM is
pretty much required by its fudiciary responsibility to try and get the
most out anyone they are negotiating with.

The program is run by the state and the locals have little to say. Sure,
everyone should negotiate for the best deal and then there is greed. I
don't see any particular other reason why Walmart needs to be a welfare
queen.

Which of course boils down the entire discussion, to WM offends you
so you don't think they should get what many others of similar size get.