Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Sealing Off Heating Vents

On Aug 18, 2:28*pm, (L C) wrote:
Is it ok to seal off the vents where the heat isnt needed all that much?
When we had our central AC repaired, I asked the guy if this was a good
idea, he said it wasnt but I dont remember the reason.
With propane going up we will go broke heating our 4 bedroom house this
winter. If its ok to seal off the vents in the back of the house we
would save a ton of money .
We do close the vents but heat still escapes from them. I saw some
magnetic vents that would probably work. Thanks

You will need to measure the air temp just above the furnace, there is
an acceptable amount of temp rise before you overheat and shorten the
life of the furnace.