Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Sealing Off Heating Vents

On Aug 18, 3:28*pm, (L C) wrote:
Is it ok to seal off the vents where the heat isnt needed all that much?
When we had our central AC repaired, I asked the guy if this was a good
idea, he said it wasnt but I dont remember the reason.
With propane going up we will go broke heating our 4 bedroom house this
winter. If its ok to seal off the vents in the back of the house we
would save a ton of money .
We do close the vents but heat still escapes from them. I saw some
magnetic vents that would probably work. Thanks

I haven't had any heat turned on upstairs in my house in 10 years. I
have an open stairway and I cut a small vent in the far end of the
hallway to allow air to circulate (before the vent, I had a heat
inversion and it was too cold upstairs). Now, the upstairs is
pleasantly cool for sleeping, the downstairs is nice, and their aren't
any noticable drafts.