Posted to alt.home.repair
Sanity[_3_] Sanity[_3_] is offline

Default Auto Brake Wear for 2003 Forester Subaru

W. eWatson wrote:
I guess there's no NG for auto repair, so ..

I bought my Forester in Sept. 2002, and apparently drove 42K without
getting new brakes. I then drove 22K before getting new breaks, and
finally another 22K, when I now need new front brakes. I live in a
foothill area of Calif., and drive up and down at least one 5-600' hill
each day. I talked to a mechanic today and he said that brake life is
usually quite good at the start.

That 5 or 600 hill didn't get any higher since you bought the car. The
replacement pads that are being installed on the car might be an
inferior grade than the originals were or the rotors might be either too
thin causing excess heat and wear or the rotors might be slightly warped
causing premature wear. Most likely its the grade of pads being
installed though.