Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Shaping rubber and rubber balls.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 14:11:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Do you have a conical drill bit? drill a conical hole 10mm wide in a bit of
wood,then turn the rubber bullet in the wood hole.
Doesnt take much effort to smooth off rubber.

Indeed. Or simply mount in anything that spins and hold some fine wet
and dry against it.

That's the tricky bit as if you hold enough of it to be sure it's held
there isn't anything left to tidy. :-(

And alternative to me fitting it on a plastic mandrel above I could
glue it temporarily to a holder as there is enough rubber shoulder
(that the little coil spring slips over) for me to shave it off the
mount once finished.

Or even make a mould and cast one out of silicone ...

Ah, there's an idea. At least I could turn a plug in something harder
(like ally) but I think that might be going a bit too far (time wise ,
well depending on how much the replacement one is of course).

Alternatively I've been looking about for a plain rubber ball of about
10 mm diameter. I think a mate has found something that is .43"
(~10.9mm) in paint ball gun round. It might just be too big though and
ironically, being a bit smaller than 10mm would be ok / better.

I've also just had a quick look through a pound shop in case a kids
game had a suitable ball but the nearest I saw was a mini snooker set
and they were hard plastic. :-(

All the best ..

T i m