Charlie Self

Default Dangers of Sawdust - medium to longish

aaron asks:

Little over a year ago, I went out and bought a "good" shopvac (ridgid
12 gallon or something), purchased a "good" filter for it (2 microns
or somesuch) for the TS, as it was generating way too much dust.

Dosen't work worth a fig. That is to say, with my open-back
contractor's type saw there's just too much open area and the poor
little vac can't keep up.

Ok, this brings up a good point. So I've read all the hazards of
dust. I've done the "brown snot for hours" thing. I've also read
that the nastiest dust is the tiniest. Soooo...other than for keeping
the shop clean (a worthy goal, admittedly) do the 30, 10, or even 5
micron filters/bags really do anything in the long run? I mean, if
they're letting those .5 micron particles out and they're the nasty
ones...?

Irrelevant. The shop vacuum, no matter how great, cannot keep up with most saws
in full spate. And if the back's open, the problem is worse. Start by working
out a way to seal the back of your TS. Use cardboard to form templates that
allow the motor to tilt when needed. Then use 1/8" hardboard to form the final
job (or use sheet metal). You'll still have a slot or so, but you've reduced
losses by probably 90% if you've done a good job. Use a zero clearance insert
for further reduction. Use a fitting on the bottom to feed into the
vacuum...these can be duct taped in place, and most are designed to fit 4" DCs,
not vacuums, but will work with reducers.

That's about all you can do.

Get one of the hanging air filters.

Oh yeah, and I have a 3 year old, a 1.5 year old, and one-on-the-way
that tromp through the shop on a fairly regular basis. A mask would
be all fine-and-good for me, but I don't want _them_ sucking in the
stuff either! (no, they aren't in the shop when anything is on.
Heck, they aren't in the shop when anything is plugged in!)

Keep the kids out of the shop when it isn't clean. It is YOUR playpen, not
theirs.

Anyone with some links to the actual size of wood dust?

Gotta be one somewhere. I haven't seen it, though.

Percentages of different micron sizes might be helpful, but probably not. Just
filter as best you can, wear at least a dust mask, and be careful. It's a nasty
world out there when you can't get your breath.

Charlie Self

"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."
Dan Quayle, 11/30/88