Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Shaping rubber and rubber balls.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 13:23:06 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

So, on the grounds I've little to lose (I'm probably in for a new
valve anyway[1]), if I could gently hold said bullet in the lathe,
what sort of tool (hand or machine) would be most likely to get me
re-surface this without ripping it up do you think please?

The rubber is about the consistency of a pencil rubber.

Some fine wet or dry paper I would think.

Just cup it in the hand and rotate the rubber slowly.

Understood.

I'm not quite sure yet how important concentricity is compare with
surface smoothness. The existing item looks quite smooth till you look
at it closely but if you view it in profile and slowly rotate it it
also looks a bit wonkey (like it's not sat square in the seat for a
fair while).

All the best ..

T i m