Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Shaping rubber and rubber balls.

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 05:05:27 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

So, on the grounds I've little to lose (I'm probably in for a new
valve anyway[1]), if I could gently hold said bullet in the lathe,
what sort of tool (hand or machine) would be most likely to get me
re-surface this without ripping it up do you think please?

It will grind nicely,but keep a good hold of it.

Ok ta and the keeping hold of it seems to be the issue!

I tried putting it in the lathe earlier but it's just too unstable to
be reliable (and I've images of it flying across the workshop, never
to be seen again) :-(

What might work though is if I can hold it further in the lathe chuck,
counter drill a small hole from the back and then glue in a small
plastic rod (knitting needle etc) that should give me something to
hold it with to be able to spin it whilst dressing it on some
wet-n-dry / file / whatever?

All the best ..

T i m