Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shaping rubber and rubber balls.

George wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
Hi all,

In the spirit of d-i-y I've taken the non return valve out of my Bambi
75/150 compressor and found out why it is leaking.

The actual valve is small rubber 'bullet' (10mm diameter x 10mm long)
that has a fairly light coil compression spring clipped over a
shoulder at the back and this 'bullet' is pushed against a conical
seat, initially by the spring than then the stored air pressure (~120
psi).

From close inspection it looks like something has been trapped in the
valve and formed a slight ridge in the rubber bullet face, stopping it
sealing properly.

So, on the grounds I've little to lose (I'm probably in for a new
valve anyway[1]), if I could gently hold said bullet in the lathe,
what sort of tool (hand or machine) would be most likely to get me
re-surface this without ripping it up do you think please?

The rubber is about the consistency of a pencil rubber.

of wood An alternative solution could be a 10mm diameter rubber ball and I
could always turn a small nylon cup to carry the spring etc.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] My local Bambi dealer doesn't carry a spare valve so I've got a
bit of time to play. Also it seems a shame to throw away a perfectly
good, nicely machined and chromed brass fitting for the sake of a 10p
rubber valve. :-(

Do you have a conical drill bit? drill a conical hole 10mm wide in a bit of
wood,then turn the rubber bullet in the wood hole.
Doesnt take much effort to smooth off rubber.

Indeed. Or simply mount in anything that spins and hold some fine wet
and dry against it.

Or even make a mould and cast one out of silicone ...