D K Woods

Default Dangers of Sawdust

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 01:52:40 GMT, e.ontiveros wrote:

I just came out of my dungeon covered in sawdust and I wondered, "Is this
stuff dangerous?"

Well I remember reading a few months ago that fine sawdust particles were
carcinogenic, but then I read several disputes afterward -- though by a
company/association that definitely had something at stake by that
assessment. So, take with a heavy grain of salt...

But other than worrying about cancer, lungs full of sawdust just don't work
too well! Also many people have allergic reaction to the sawdust of some
woods -- not just exotic species, either. The reaction can include skin
rashes, not unlike poison ivy, but can also cause shortness of breath,
wheezing, etc., much like emphysema.

And finally, watch out for open flames. If the sawdust mixes with air at
the right levels, it isn't just combustible, but can be downright
explosive. Boom!

Remember safety isn't just for things with a power cord, sharp blade, or
lots of inertia. It also means your health in the long run.

david
--
It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have
learned English -- up to 50 words used in correct context -- no human being