Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Shaping rubber and rubber balls.

Hi all,

In the spirit of d-i-y I've taken the non return valve out of my Bambi
75/150 compressor and found out why it is leaking.

The actual valve is small rubber 'bullet' (10mm diameter x 10mm long)
that has a fairly light coil compression spring clipped over a
shoulder at the back and this 'bullet' is pushed against a conical
seat, initially by the spring than then the stored air pressure (~120
psi).

From close inspection it looks like something has been trapped in the
valve and formed a slight ridge in the rubber bullet face, stopping it
sealing properly.

So, on the grounds I've little to lose (I'm probably in for a new
valve anyway[1]), if I could gently hold said bullet in the lathe,
what sort of tool (hand or machine) would be most likely to get me
re-surface this without ripping it up do you think please?

The rubber is about the consistency of a pencil rubber.

An alternative solution could be a 10mm diameter rubber ball and I
could always turn a small nylon cup to carry the spring etc.

All the best ..

T i m

[1] My local Bambi dealer doesn't carry a spare valve so I've got a
bit of time to play. Also it seems a shame to throw away a perfectly
good, nicely machined and chromed brass fitting for the sake of a 10p
rubber valve. :-(