Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default liability for someone helping with installing a wood floor

"Benjamin" wrote in message
I have a guy coming next week to help me level a floor and install
wood flooring. My concern is that if he were to get hurt while
working in my house, I imagine that the liability would be on me (even
if it's his fault).

Anyone have advice on how to protect myself on this issue? Is it
possible to have him sign a no liability waiver?
I think he'd be willing to do that, but I'm not sure that it would be
legally binding.

Also, does anyone know if homeowners insurance typically covers
someone else getting injured in your house?

Thanks
-Ben

In most States an independent contractor can legally claim to be self
insured and/or waive in writing any claims that might occur. As long as he
does not bring a helper you will be fine in most States. The People's
Republic states most likely play with a different set of rules.

The liability portion of you homeowners may cover you IF you have the
written waiver and it is legal where you are.

If this is a major concern to you please do not rely on the advice in this
thread. Consult your local insurance agent or an attorney for the law as it
applies where you are located.

Colby