Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Samuel M. Goldwasser Samuel M. Goldwasser is offline

Default Varian rotary vane pump lost all its oil through exhaust?

Matthew Karam writes:

On Aug 18, 6:49 pm, Jim Adney wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:25:51 -0700 (PDT) Matthew Karam

It wouldn't have to come up to 1 atm; it just has to be enough
liters/sec to get the rotary pump misting.

It's pretty unusual for those relief valves to fail. Who made this
one?

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

I've discovered why it failed.
This was a valve that I pulled from our "random extra parts" closet
HPS model 145-0040K-24V

I should have pulled the spec sheet on it long ago... it required
24VAC and we were feeding it 24V DC
I'm surprised it worked fine for the first week.....

Geez, major meltdown. I'm also surprised it didn't smoke in the
first few minutes.

--
sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: http://www.repairfaq.org/