Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can I make a used door fit my frame?

On Aug 19, 3:25*pm, Bob Simon wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:59:08 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
*From context, I presume that by "scab" you mean an extension to
the door. *I question if this could be made to look good. *If not,
it's not really a suitable option.

This is what Mr. Bell had in mind:

Extend the bottom of the door with a piece of hardwood, using biscuits
or dowels, and then cover the seam with a brass kickplate so it looks
similiar to this:

http://site.lookintheattic.com/BA/KickPlateHome.jpg

Yes, the kick plates come without the numbers.

Yes. that is certainly attractive. *Thanks. *I had no idea. *Where do
you buy a kickplate? *Does Lowes or Home Depot carry them?

I'm now convinced that this project is indeed feasible. *I think I'll

Where do you buy a kickplate? Does Lowes or Home Depot carry them?

I assume you are not going to be doing this yourself.

I would suggest that you avoid the home centers and visit a couple of
dedicated Door and Window businesses in you area. You might even check
out business dedicated to restoring older houses. Explain to them what
you need done and ask them to recommend a contractor who they would
trust to work on this type of project.

Let the contractor get the kick plate for you - he probably has
sources for higher quality materials than what you'll find on the
shelf at the home centers. He'll probably give you a better guarantee
on his material than on materials that you hand him to install.