Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Simon Bob Simon is offline

Default Can I make a used door fit my frame?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:19:12 -0500, dpb wrote:

I have no doubt I could also patch the hole sufficiently well it
wouldn't be noticeable, but it can be time consuming (read expensive if
you're paying someone else to do it). It's not what I'd recommend.

Alternatively also on the length -- possible to take some from the top
and some from the bottom -- higher threshold combined w/ weather stop
and (say) half-inch on top and you can easily make up the short.

And, of course, there's also the possible solution of continuing to look
at the salvage/recycle places until another door of the proper size does
show up. Large locales tend to have several places where such are
available routinely; one has to keep looking. If otoh this is a truly
outstanding specimen, it's possibly worth the effort.

It is almost never a matter of "if", just "how" and "how much"...

This is a good perspective to keep in mind, especially as I have a
tendency to become overly invested in a project, even when it's not
always the best approach. That's why I asked here about feasibility.

Actually, I was not looking for this door, I just came across it by
accident. Since I haven't been monitoring the market, I can't really
say if it is an outstanding specimen or not. However, I can say it's
a very attractive door at what seems to be an outstanding price and
it's pretty darn close to the right size.