Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can I make a used door fit my frame?

Bob Simon wrote:
Unfortunately, the measurements do not exactly match the existing
door. The used door is 1 1/2" shorter

I would add a scab to the bottom edge, then put a brass kick plate on
both sides. No one will notice if you don't point it out.

From context, I presume that by "scab" you mean an extension to the
door. I question if this could be made to look good. If not, it's
not really a suitable option. While I'm not a carpenter, I expect
that I can find someone who could modify the frame to fit the door and
make it look good, expecially since the frame will be painted.

Also, there
are two 2" holes drilled in it. The deadbolt hole is not even close
to where my existing deadbolt is located and it's too big.

Visit a good locksmith. He'll sell you a deadbolt that will use your
old key and fit a 2" hole. Move the strike plate on the jamb to match
the new deadbolt location. Fill and paint the old strike plate
location.

Thanks. I'll check this out.

Can a hole be filled in such a way that would not be very noticable
with a clear coat finish?

Short answer: No
Longer answer: You can either make it obvious*, disguise it, or cover
it up. If you patch it, it will always be detectable.

* First rule of decorating: If you can't make it match, make it stand
out.

I hadn't considered this but it could work. If I can't find an
internal deadbolt that fits, I may go this route. After all, it IS a
recycled door and that's part of its charm. Perhaps NOT trying to
hide the old hole has merit.

The obvious easiest solution is (as others have noted) get hardware that
matches the existing holes.

Escutcheon plates are also a possibility.

I have no doubt I could also patch the hole sufficiently well it
wouldn't be noticeable, but it can be time consuming (read expensive if
you're paying someone else to do it). It's not what I'd recommend.

Alternatively also on the length -- possible to take some from the top
and some from the bottom -- higher threshold combined w/ weather stop
and (say) half-inch on top and you can easily make up the short.

And, of course, there's also the possible solution of continuing to look
at the salvage/recycle places until another door of the proper size does
show up. Large locales tend to have several places where such are
available routinely; one has to keep looking. If otoh this is a truly
outstanding specimen, it's possibly worth the effort.

It is almost never a matter of "if", just "how" and "how much"...