Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Simon Bob Simon is offline

Default Can I make a used door fit my frame?

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 12:08:25 -0500, "Leroy"
wrote:

Bob Simon wrote:

Can a hole be filled in such a way that would not be very noticable
with a clear coat finish?

Can you use the existing deadbolt hole in the 'new' door and
relocate the deadbolt hole/plate in your door jamb?

The existing internal deadbolt cover is only 1 1/2" across while the
holes in the "new" door are 2" across. I can't imagine that I could
re-use my old hardware in this situation but I can probably find a new
deadbolt that would fit the door hole and chisel a new mortise in the
jamb. Thanks for helping me see this possibility.