Phil

Default Dangers of Sawdust

Get a good full face mask and protect your lungs and eyes at the same
time. I like the Racal Airmate.

Phil

Chris wrote:
"e.ontiveros" wrote in message news:I9U2b.271853$uu5.61818@sccrnsc04...

I just came out of my dungeon covered in sawdust and I wondered, "Is this
stuff dangerous?"

Does anyone have a good reason why I should buy a shopvac?

Thanks.

eo

"I love the smell of sawdust in the morning."

I have only been practicing this hobby for 2 or 3 years. When
performing high-dust activities such as sanding or working on my
lathe, I would use one of those "bra" dust masks or wrap a bandana
over my nose and mouth. As an allergy sufferer I knew that I wanted
to get a dust collector or better mask, but just never got around to
it.

Then one day I noticed I was a little short of breath after being down
in the workshop. This continued on and off over the next few weeks,
but not necessarily coinciding with visits to the shop. Went to see
my Allergist and ran through a battery of tests. Also ordered a GOOD
dust mask and started wearing it religiously.

The good news: Not my allergies or permanent lung damage. Not-so-good
news: Acid reflux causing a feeling of shortness of breath. Excellent
benefit: Because of my "scare", I now protect my lungs properly
whenever in the shop (or anywhere else where there is a dust hazard).
I have found my mask to be very comfortable. Just slight discomfort
when wearing it when temperature and humidity over 85 degrees/85%.
This discomfort is STILL less than the sneezing and nose blowing I
used to endure for (sometimes) hours after a session in the workshop.

Bottom line: Buy a good mask, or dust collector, or BOTH.

Happy breathing...

-Chris