Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Roof Nail Pops Revisted - Do They Really Happen?

On Aug 18, 11:53*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Aug 18, 11:30*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Aug 18, 11:20*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm pretty sure he offered up the "ring shaft" terminology, but I
won't swear to it. He did say something like "xxx-yyy roofing nails
can't back out", so maybe I just imagine he said ring-shaft when in
fact it was something else.

Keep in mind that I was still trying to figure out why he was the only
person that said nail-pops don't happen, so it's possible I spaced out
on the actual terminology.

In any case, he won't be doing my roof, that's for sure. I spoke with
3 other contractors today and they all basically gave the same reason
for nail pops, including one who went into detail about moisture
getting under 3-tab shingles and loosening the nails.

BTW...I just checked the attic and the shafts are smooth.

Thanks for the detailed response.- Hide quoted text -

Now don't get jealous, but I've been running the same question by the
folks over at roofing.com. *While most of the responders agree with
just about everything you guys have been saying, the latest response
was this:

*** Begin Included Text ***

alot of old 1x decks have alot of nails that hit cracks. theese nails
can and will back up.
but for the most part if you have alot of backed up nails then they
were probably naever nailed hard enough in the first place. if so you
can pound them down and put a little sealant inbetween shingle, over
nail.
ringshank roofing nails are starting to take over.
they hold like hell.
i will be charging extra to tear off roofs with
ringshanks.
tore one off recently and had to leave the ringshanks cause it was
tearing apart the decking trying to get them out.
you have to take them out one by one with hammer.

*** End Included Text ***

I have to check in the morning to see what the others have to say
about his comments ring shafts. The poster shows over 1500 posts,
so I assume he's a regular - that doesn't make him an expert, but I'm
sure the others know him and will comment if he's full of crap.

Yeah, that's me - jealous all over.

You don't see nail pops all over a roof, and you don't see them on
every roof. *Regular barbed roofing nails hold just fine if they're
installed correctly.

Houses outlast people - they're supposed to. *People remodel - the
people after you will remodel. *They'll need new roofs and new
subfloors when they get wet. *Using tons of hard to remove fasteners,
when the fasteners aren't the problem in the first place, is shooting
yourself in the foot or maybe shooting the next guy in the foot. *Do
you like shooting people in the foot? *I don't.

The ring shank nails are unnecessary. *They make reroofing a bitch.
So why use ring shanks - so your _roof_ doesn't squeak when you walk
on it?

BTW, it seems to me that you might be over-analyzing this. *There are
plenty of good contractors who don't see eye to eye on specifics. *You
will not find a perfect consensus on anything in construction.

R- Hide quoted text -

BTW, it seems to me that you might be over-analyzing this. There
are plenty of good contractors who don't see eye to eye on
specifics. You will not find a perfect consensus on anything in
construction.

But Paralysis by Analysis can be so rewarding! ;-)