Posted to uk.d-i-y
Corporal Jones Corporal Jones is offline

Default Screwfix Drill/impact driver deal

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Corporal Jones wrote:
Hi all,
Taken delivery of a Screwfix deal of drill & impact driver.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79355?ts=85377

No probs with the gear, they do exactly what I want them to do apart
from the screwdriver bits, they strip of ever so quickly!
Can anybody recommend a good quality decent make of bits that will
stand up to normal use, or are they all made in China from ****ty
mild steel

Is it the drill driver or the impact driver that shags the bits - or both?

Only used the Impact so far, great for coach screws in sleepers

Two schools of thought here, buy expensive bits like Wera, Weha. IME these
tend to shatter rather than strip. I gave up on them after a while. Option
2, buy relatively cheap bits & bin them as soon as they start to strip.
Thats what I do.

Before I got my autofeed I reckon that putting 1500+ screws into a deck with
an impact driver would shag 3 or 4 cheap bits.

Screwfix had some DeWalt ones on special a while ago, so did Wickes. Wickes
'gold' ones aren't too bad for the price.

Will take a stroll down to Wickes and try theirs

Just a point, don't use a PH bit on a PZ screw or vice versa - shags the
bits in no time.

Yes, that was one problem, the other I found out is to use the correct
size of bit for the screw, that's what I get for trying to rush a job in
the pouring rain.

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"