Posted to alt.home.repair
Paulaner[_2_] Paulaner[_2_] is offline

Default Exterior siding question

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 06:41:53 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Aug 16, 10:38*pm, Paulaner wrote:
Here in Maryland I have a 1700 ft2 1977 rancher that needs new siding.
We have decided to use pre-stained cedar shakes on the front of the
house (which is also about 40% recycled brick). * We are thinking
about using hardiplank on the sides (~26') and back (~72'). *

Picture of front: *http://mysite.verizon.net/paulaner/139.JPG

We currently have 3/8" pressboard siding panels (?), and behind that
is light blue rigid foam labeled "Total Wall Insulation Systems". *The
foam is about 5/8" thick for a total thickness of 1". *The windows and
doorframes extend about 1" out from the current exterior wall.

Picture of window frame:http://mysite.verizon.net/paulaner/011.JPG

The old pressboard siding has quite a few soft spots in various edges
and personally I think it should be removed before we start the new
siding. *I don't want to spend extra money if it's not needed, but I
want to make sure we have a quality job that we don't have to worry
about 20+ years from now. Additionally I want to be certain that I
don't lose any insulation, and would be happy to improve that where
possible.

We are hearing different options from the contractors that have bid
the job. *One wants to pull the old siding and foam out, install OSB
and tyvek, then cedar shakes or hardiplank. *One says they can nail
the new shakes / hardiplank to the existing pressboard, patching any
soft areas as they go.

I'm a reasonably adept (inside the house) DIY guy. *What I am thinking
is to remove the pressboard panels, leave the blue foam installation,
nail up ½" OSB, staple the recommended felt and then nail the cedar
shakes. *Depending on the about of time that takes, I may pay someone
to do the hardiplank the same way.

What would you do? *

Any recomendations are appreciated. *Thanks.

You could go several different ways, and it all depends on the
existing condition of the T-1-11 (that's what type of siding you
have). Hardiplank can be nailed over the T-1-11, you can pull the
T-1-11 and install the Hardiplank directly over the foam (you have to
be more careful about over-driving nails and such with that method),
or you strip the walls down to whatever's underneath the foam and
start fresh.

I don't know why you'd want to remove the foam insulation,
particularly with energy costs being what they are.* You probably
should do a Forensic Siding Autopsy to determine what exactly you're
up against. Remove one sheet of the T-1-11 in the worst condition and
disassemble the wall checking for rot, mold and other signs of
deterioration. That should give you enough information so you can
determine how to proceed.

* Any guesses on how much a cord of wood will go up this year to take
advantage of all of the other rising fuel costs?

I think the T-1-11 is marginal on most of the edges, so I'm planning
on replacing that with 1/2" pressure treated plywood. I suppose I
could use OSB, but my instinct tells me that it might be better to use
the pressure treated stuff. The goal is to make it last 30+ years so
I can avoid this kind of work during my retirement years.

I called a local insulation shop, and they will send a guy over to
help me look at the current stuff and see if it's adequate. From what
I can tell, the current foam looks to be R-5.

Thanks for your advice,
Pauaner

* I have noticed wood pellets for my stove keep jumping up in cost
every year.