Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard and old ceilings

On Aug 18, 10:21*am, Clint Sharp wrote:
In message
,
writes9mm PB is fine for a false ceiling, on a light timber frame, eg 2x2.
You can fix it to existing ceiling or have it free floating - the
former is easier, the later gives extra noise reduction.

Frame seems the way to go, I'd fix to the walls and then have the frame
running at right angles and fixed to the beams above, shimming to make
level. 9mm it shall be. Another reason for doing that would be that it'd
make recessing lights very easy.

No need to pull anything existing down.
Final treatment can be plaster skim, filled joints or paper lining,
upto you. Filling is cheapest.

Filled joints I think, I can manage to level a simple straight line with
plaster.

Fireproof board, no, basic PB is fireproof already.

OK, that's good.
However what you propose seems like a lot of work, cant you reroute
the pipe?

Nope. See earlier replies, no access from above and I think it may be
gas anyway (I'll find out, I'm going to remove the box around it next
weekend)

Stuart Noble:
You could just fix plasterboard through the old plaster without battens.
I'm pretty sure that's what a plasterer would do.

I can picture it now, a layer of PB hanging on 6" screws screwed only
half way in

Sounds lovely, I can just imagine SWMBO's reaction when she finds her
nice new ceiling on top of the fridge! I'll check that the tent's OK
before I do that.

heh. Just one last thing, I'd use smaller boards than 4x8 for overhead
work.

NT