Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix Drill/impact driver deal

Corporal Jones wrote:
Hi all,
Taken delivery of a Screwfix deal of drill & impact driver.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/79355?ts=85377

No probs with the gear, they do exactly what I want them to do apart
from the screwdriver bits, they strip of ever so quickly!
Can anybody recommend a good quality decent make of bits that will
stand up to normal use, or are they all made in China from ****ty
mild steel

Is it the drill driver or the impact driver that shags the bits - or both?

Two schools of thought here, buy expensive bits like Wera, Weha. IME these
tend to shatter rather than strip. I gave up on them after a while. Option
2, buy relatively cheap bits & bin them as soon as they start to strip.
Thats what I do.

Before I got my autofeed I reckon that putting 1500+ screws into a deck with
an impact driver would shag 3 or 4 cheap bits.

Screwfix had some DeWalt ones on special a while ago, so did Wickes. Wickes
'gold' ones aren't too bad for the price.

Just a point, don't use a PH bit on a PZ screw or vice versa - shags the
bits in no time.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk