Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:08:15 +0100, endymion wrote:

I will probably have to open up a fire place and put coal in although
the cost of that is considerable now

Probably better to put in a wood burner or multifuel stove with a boiler.
Much better at getting the heat where you want it than an open fire. You
will need space to store the fuel though.

(having checked it recently and noted that several of my neighbours have
just put in storage heaters changing from oil)

Not surprised oil is almost but not quite the same cost as normal domestic
electricity these days. I don't like storage heaters though, mainly for
the reasons outlined in another message. A "cold snap" up here means
overnight mins of -10C... The cottage (all electric) needs new heaters, so
I'll be looking at the more sophisticated ones for that.

or find cheaper heaters.

To maintain a given temperature in a given room you'll need the same
energy input no matter it's source, you just need to try and pick the
cheapest. Un fortunately no energy source is particularly cheap anymore.

--
Cheers
Dave.