IMM

Default Thermostatic or electric shower from combi

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
Andy

You're not wrong but I'd still say go for the
shower off the combi, it's far far better.

Thanks, I'm pretty much convinced to go
for the shower off the combi now.

It looks from what IMM said ("You install a pressure equalizing valve.")
that if my thermostatic shower unit doesn't have one of those inbuilt, I
should get one separately?

See how the system works. If you have problems install one. It ensure that
both the hot and cold supplies to the shower are of equal pressure,
eliminating the too hot and too cold problems when other taps draw off
water. The temperature operated thermostatic mixers generally are not fast
enough to adjust the outlet temp to the mixers setpoint, the equalizing
valves are fast.

With a mains pressure system, it is best to balance the system. Install
in-line isolators and turn down taps to suit. You do not need full firehose
flow on a wash basin or kitchen tap for that matter, so turn them down. Do
you need full flow on a toilet cistern, probably not at all. A little
adjusting here and there on all water outlet taps can improve the shower and
combi performance considerably.

It would be in the middle of winter in a freezing
cold house with no hot water other than what
you can boil in a kettle.

LOL!

If my boiler packed up, the dishwasher and washing machine would still work,
so would the kettle. So what do you need for backup? A small 2.5kW
electric fan heater and an in-line instant electric water heater in the
combi's outlet, which is for emergencies only. Normally the water heated by
the combi will just run straight through it and it would be switched off.

---