Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jrshedden jrshedden is offline

Default Switcher Repair Hints

Hi,

Thanks for the 2 replies. I hope I'm properly posting so you both can
see this. Am I correct that a 'Reply' is to all and a 'Reply to
Author' is in response to a particular post?

Franc:

Thanks for the pinouts. There are 3 backpanes in the server. Once is
the motherboard I/O expansion (PCI-X and PCIe on this one). The second
is the SCSI backplane where up to 7 disk drives plug in. The third is
the power supply backplance (Supermicro calls it the 'power
distributor') where 3 identical 250 watt power supplies slide in from
the back of the machine and connect via edge card connectors. Each
power supply has its own power input and its own fan, so the server
has 3 power cords. When the supply goes down, its fan stops because it
probably runs off it's own 12 volts, but it is going strong when the
supply is up and the exhaust temperature matches the other 2 within 3
or 4 degrees F.

Jerry:

I built the Dick Smith ESR tester, and I will check all the caps when
heated. I'm taking your advice and replacing the supply, but I will
probably hack around the module to see if I get lucky. It will take
some luck or an inordinate amount of time without schematics.

Solution:

ACS Industrial services would fix the module ($250 minimum) and
Supermicro would sell me a refurbished 760 watt triple redundant (3
modules + backplane or power distributor) for $300 or $330 (I forget).
It's ordered and on the way. Too bad the &60 watt modules are not
compatible with the old backplane.

If I figure out the module problem I will repost the result.

Thanks for the help.

Jim