Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot Stealth Pilot is offline

Default are there any tricks to recycled plastic as a DIY exercise?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:53:57 +0100, "Norman Billingham"
norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Stealth Pilot wrote:
... coca cola PET bottles ... melting this down to a rod of
machinable plastic. ...

are there techniques that work well enough in the workshop?

From my very limited experience, I would say NO! "Melting down" is not
something that PET does. It is so viscous that it doesn't flow to fill a
container except under pressure. Under heat it becomes soft globs, not
what you'd call liquid.

To repeat: from my very limited experience,

PET is about the worst choice of thermoplastic to try to recycle that way.
It doesn't melt till 265C and degrades rapidly unless it is dried before
moulding. Its very hard to control crystallisation on cooling and bottle
grades don't mould well anyway - best just go out and buy some plastic rod
by mail order. If all else fails RS components do a fair range of types.

I didnt know that. I'll have a look in the cattledog tomorrow.