Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon[_4_] Jon[_4_] is offline

Default Harbor freight crane jack leaking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 18:35:00 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus16322 quickly quoth:

The hydraulic jack on my crane has two problems:

1) it leaks around the small (pumping) cylinder
2) When I open the valve, it opens too abruptly, so the crane drops
instead of going down slowly, I totally hate this.

So learn some dexterity, Ig. gd&r Alternatively, you could use the
winch to lower the load instead of the hydraulics. g

Additionally, mill a large diameter lever or round knob/cap for the
valve stem and pop it on when you want to use the valve.

So. I would like to buy a replacement jack, preferably something of
"high quality", chrome plated cylinders, made in USA or some such. Are
there any suppliers who sell similar but better jacks?

Pictures are he

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Harb...t-Truck-Crane/

I've seen some nice air-overs but they're all 8-T and long bodied,
built for the shop cranes, not the truck cranes.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.

If you go the repair route, once you get your leak fixed, restrict the oil
passage to limit the down speed...