Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default permit inspections - thanks for all the replies

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

covered by sheetrock, it was just
sticking out the wall; an equivalent attach point on the bathroom sink
drain was similarly setting there. The only problem was the intervening

air
gap of about 8 inches and an elbow that, for some reason, the water failed
to follow instead of flowing out the pipe onto the vanity floor.

Another excellent reason why a buyer should _always_ require a 3rd party
inspection before closing on a home. AAMOF, most lenders are now requiring
one ... a good thing!

As I mentioned before, this happens enough that it is almost automatic to
check before firing up an AC in new construction. IOW, what happened to you
is indeed inexcusable, and one of the reasons the "trades" are not paid in
full until the building final is passed, and with all systems going full
blast, giving me the opportunity of doing a "backcharge" under their
contract in the event of a similar, expensive to repair, incident.

In your case, the builder should have been all over the plumbing contractor
for missing the connection; and the HVAC subcontractor for not insuring that
both drainage and overflow lines were operational (attic insulation is often
the last thing to go in and it is very common to see the overflow pan drain
stopped up with insulation _before_ the units are even powered).

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08