Posted to rec.woodworking
David G. Nagel[_2_] David G. Nagel[_2_] is offline

Default permit inspections - thanks for all the replies

evodawg wrote:
Swingman wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
evodawg wrote:
I agree, HVAC involves electrical. Plumbing, usually it either works or
it
leaks. Pretty stupid simple. But to protect the innocent then ok.
Not always so simple, no.

Absolutely agree ... it's amazing, how the interconnected complexity of a
plumbing system, discounting leaks, including hot and cold supply lines,
drain lines, water heating/distribution, the proper flushing of commodes
for the next 50 years or so, can all be problematic and are subject to a
good many scientific principles.

(That said, the only thing quicker to chill the bone's of a builder, other
than the sight of an electrician with a sawzall in hand, is a plumber with
one!)

Despite the need for a good design and ductwork, HVAC has a good bit of
'plumbing" involved as well ... Freon lines, drainage, both primary and
backup for the evaporator coils/air handler units, which are often in
attics where they can cause a great deal of damage when not designed
properly fail/get stopped up. While these guys aren't plumbers, they still
need a lot of the same skills for proper installation.

All in need of competent "inspection".

I can guarantee, unequivocally, that _most_ builder's, particularly the
Italian loafered, khaki pants/ blue button down shirt variety, driving
from jobsite to jobsite in a Lexus complete with wraparound Armani's, are
NOT the people you want making sure these things are done correctly!

DAMHIKT ...

-- www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/14/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Not sure how many inspectors are competent, as long as the HVAC and Plumber
is licensed and has a good rep. everything should be ok. I'm a licensed
General Engineer with a General A California License. My licensing
authority says I cannot work on Houses. But I can build Schools, Bridges,
and High Rise Buildings. I'm retired and do the remodel and handyman thing
to keep me busy and I enjoy it. I know code but I can't advertise that I do
this type work with my current license, ridicules!!! Homeowners need to do
some homework before hiring some Jose on the cheap.

Plumbing to me is really basic, it's not rocket science. Electrical takes a
little more initiative.

A couple of years ago I upgraded my whole house air conditioning system.
This involved installing a new compressor and a new evaporator coil. The
evaporator is the part that cools. It was located in the attic and just
fit up the access hole.
A couple of weeks after a blister developed in one of the bedroom
ceilings. When I broke the blister about a pint of water spilled on the
bed below. I called the installer back and had them fix the problem. It
seemed that the apprentice they had stuck in the HOT attic failed to
properly install the condensate overflow.
Last year when I moved the painter had to replace two sheets of plaster
board in the ceiling that had been damaged by the overflow condensate.
There is no mandatory inspection in the county or city where I lived but
the installer was insured and honorable.

Dave Nagel